Wednesday, December 06, 2006

indie rock chicks!

Year End Lists are coming. They're always fun. Still working on mine, but Large-Hearted Boy and Gorilla vs Bear have theirs up already, so dig in and enjoy. Before I start any year-end lists I wanted to ask you guys this important question:


Who is the most schoolboy-crush inducing woman in Indie Rock???
Annie Hardy (Giant Drag)
Cat Power
Emily Haines
Feist
Jenny Lewis
Joanna Newsom
Jolie Holland
Lady Sovereign
Liela Moss (the Duke Spirit)
Lily Allen
Lovefoxxx (CSS)
Maja Iversson (the Sounds)
Neko Case
Reeta-Leena Korhola (Husky Rescue)
Sarah Balliet (Murder by Death)
Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond, Sufjan Stevens)
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com



Hey. I like girl rock. Let's break it down...


1. Annie Hardy (Giant Drag). Annie's lyrics are all dark, sexual, and weird, and apparently she is hard to be in a band with. The kind of girl who makes coughing up phlegm from smoking too many spirits the night before sexy. I like.



2. Cat Power. Cat Power. Smoker, ex-alcoholic, case of stage fright, aspirations of being on Saturday Night Live, smoky voice, wrote "He War" and "The Greatest". Certified doe. Could probably take you in a fight though.




3. Emily Haines. She came onstage during BSS' set at Lollapalooza looking like she had been up since the night before doing blow (it was 8 o'clock at night). Small black dress, sunglasses, hair pulled into some sort of pompadour/new-wave thing, quietly creeping around the stage during "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl". Force of nature. I bet she's a smoker.







4. Feist. Where to start. She seems like someone you would meet at a party and flirt with from across the room, then take her out back and bang her and rejoin the party pretending like nobody noticed (even though they all did). I'd let her beat me up. And she's a smoker. Notice the trend.




5. Jenny Lewis. Do I really need to say anything? Jenny wouldn't smoke, or beat me up.
















6. Joanna Newsom. Ditto. It was hard to find pictures of these two women to put up that weren't already on the site.




7. Jolie Holland. Just recently 'got' Springtime Can Kill You. It's awesome. So is she. Nothing much to say. She may have had a cigarette from time to time.
















8. Lady Sov. I wanna get drunk with this chick, get in a fist fight, and wake up in detox. She fucking rules. If ever you have the chance to catch her live, do so. She is literally like 3 and a 1/2 feet tall.




9. Liela Moss (the Duke Spirit). Scott would let her break that bottle over his head. Only women I have ever seen that makes sweatpants sexy.







10. Lily Allen. Drinker. Smoker. Myspace celebrity. Probably been in a fight or two. Not sure if Alright, Still is even out in the states yet, but when it releases, gobble it up. The closest thing to reggae you will ever find me listening to.












11. Lovefoxxx (CSS). She's Brazilian and mangles the English language. Go change your trousers.




12. Maja Iversson. First of all we have the same exact haircut (or had). Second, the whole Emily Haines doing blow thing? Applies to Maja. I even forgive her for being involved in that Snakes on a Plane crap song. Smoker? Possibly. Beat me up? Definetly.




13. Neko Case. Not only is Fox Confessor Brings the Flood in my top ten of the year, but here is an actual quote from Neko at ACL: (to the sound guy) "I would give you a blow job for less reverb". Niiice. She's totally BA.






14. Reeta-Leena Korhola (Husky Rescue). Don't know much about these guys, but everything I've heard from the upcoming record sounds amazing. And, well, she's a doe.




15. Sarah Balliet (Murder by Death). Female cello player in a band that sings about whiskey, religion, and released an album called Like the Exorcist But More Breakdancing. Case closed.







16. Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond, Sufjan Stevens band). Fantastic, fantastic record. I guess maybe seeing it live first made the album so great, but still. And homegirl plays with Sufjan. She was part of the Chinese Butterfly Brigade, an Illinoisemaker and I'm pretty sure she was in the Michigan Militia. Might win by default.


Good work team.

Any questions/comments/suggestions? Did I leave anyone out? Write in your vote in the comments if I neglected your favorite (and I neglected quite a few, but it was getting out of control). Be back soon with more lists of shit, stupid videos, the status of my alcoholism, and whatever else this site is for. I promised Stephen I'd update it more often. And I heard Steve, that the bitch is back? You'll see.

2 Comments:

Blogger flyingcobrashark said...

Kim Gordon will always win

The Flying Cobra Shark put its list up today.

No one likes you.

4:49 PM  
Blogger matt clark said...

Yeah but would you bang her?

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home