Wednesday, July 12, 2006

ARCHIVE: Feb-13-2006

what do you mean I'm not 22 anymore?

A few weeks ago I was deathly ill, and had spent three days locked in my house just hurting. On the third day I finally got human contact in the form of band practice. I was bitching to Chip about how I had been getting sick a lot recently, and that is was pissing me off. I couldn't understand why this was happening (I think one of my reasons why I shouldn't ever get sick was "I take a multivitamin"- lame). Chip humored me for a minute then he looked at me and said,

"You drink too much, you smoke too much, you go out all the time, you stay up late, you don't exercise, and you don't eat right. Matt, I hate to say it, but you're not 22 years old anymore. That kind of lifestyle is not conducive to staying healthy."

Of course those weren't his exact words because I doubt Chip would ever use the word conducive.

But that really stuck with me. Anybody who knows me has heard me tell this story eight thousand times. When did we become old? I can't go out, shoot whiskey all night, smoke a pack and a half of cigarettes and not get home until 6am without consequences anymore? This is fucking bush league. Bush! But he's absolutely right. Something's gotta give.

At least when I'm out on the piss I'm not trainwreck status like a lot of people. Scott Longman once said that if the whole world got drunk like I do there would be no more war. Or something like that. And speaking of drinking...

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, the second stupidest holiday behind Easter. Let's go see Stars and listen to songs about broken hearts and drink way too many whiskey sours. Deal?

ADDENDUM: I stayed relatively sober on V-Day and had a long depressing talk wth Chris 'Franchise' Plummer (read about it in his myspaceblog). But Stars fucking ruled! The last song before the encore was Your Ex-Lover Is Dead (duh) and dude was like 'dedicate this song to the person you hate the most!'. I hoisted my whiskey in the air, awkwardly danced with Elroy and ate those silly French Canadians up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home